Dragon Costume

I feel like I'm always apologizing for not posting enough. I guess I need to stop apologizing and just relax. Really I post whenever I make something. The silence, that's been a bigger issue than just not posting. I haven't been sewing much. Not for lack of fabric, to-sew lists, projects, etc... but I've realized that somehow I developed a lot of fear... fear of what, I'm not sure, but I've had this debilitating feeling of fear and ineptitude. I know that's dumb because I know I'm good at what I do. I can't do it all but I'm good at what I do. I think I'm getting better and I'm getting some things done but those feelings have bogged me down for months.

One of the projects that's helped me get out of my funk is this costume. I was commissioned by a friend to make her daughter a dragon costume for Halloween. She sent some inspiration pics and I followed them pretty closely and added a couple other details. 


This project was more intense than it might appear. I drafted the patten and that's no easy feat. Even if it's pretty much a circle skirt with a hood it takes time. I'm always so impressed with indie pattern designers. Making a pattern is not for sissy's. I fully lined the costume and quilted the spikes and back of the costume. I added velcro for a neck closure and two sets of ties on the interior to hold it together while it's worn. There are also some elastic wrist straps. It may appear small on the model and that's because my daughter wears 5T/xs clothes and this is made for a little lady that is still mostly in 2T clothes. My 2T wearing son refuses to wear this... I put it on him for fit checks but he cries the whole time. Hopefully the lucky lady likes it.






Now on to Halloween costumes for my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment