Striped Dress

I've loved this dress for a while:
Mustard striped dress


When I was first checking out girlcharlee.com I saw this fabric and she had suggested making this dress with it. Um, yes! So eventually I bought the fabric to make the dress.

Here's my version:


I used a new favorite pattern and my TNT S2599 combined with a self drafted A-line skirt. I used the Seafarer Top pattern from Sew Much Ado. I made a shirt using this pattern too but I keep wearing it and not photographing it. Anyway I love the pattern and plan on making 2 more for fall in the next couple weeks.



I used the Seafarer Top pattern for the neckline and sleeves. Then I laid my S2599 over it and used it to make the bodice wide enough and know where to cut for my elastic casing.



I matched up my stripes using my pattern matching trick! I love it... I'm blowing through my steam a seam now because I keep sewing up stripes!



For the skirt I just made sure to cut the waist the same width as the bottom of the top and then I went out from there.  Also I always curve the hem a little at the side seams so they don't get too pointy. I might have to draw a pic of that sometime because I'm not sure I'm describing it very well.

I pair this with a belt when I'm wearing it out and about. I love how the dress turned out and might have to make another next summer. Next time I plan on turning the neckline under... for some reason my banded neckline seemed a bit small this time.

~ ~ ~ Risa ~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment