Girl's Striped Tunic using M6785

All I have to blog this week is stripes. Maybe I need to branch out! I have some other things to sew up in other patterns but for now it's stripes galore! Add to that a repeat of yesterday's fabric.

Yesterday's dress took about 1 1/4 yards of fabric but I had purchased 2 yards which of course left me with 3/4 of a yard... which was perfect for this pattern because I needed 3/4 of a yard! Yeah for using up leftover fabric. Plus my daughter loves when I make her things... and thinks every piece of fabric in my stash should be for her.

A quick thought: I strongly encourage sewing for toddlers and kids when you're new to sewing. That's how I started and I learned so much. When sewing for kids it's easier to let imperfections go because they move so much no one will see them... and they'll grow out of it soon enough. Plus you learn the basics of sewing wearable clothing and that knowledge can then be applied to sewing for yourself. Just my 2 cents ;)

I bought M6785 as soon as I saw it in McCall's new pattern brochure. I thought it would be a great pattern set for my little girl for fall.



Pattern Description: McCall's 6786 Pullover dresses and leggings. Many variations.

Pattern Sizing:
I cut the size 3. The fit is great in the body and length... but I did a bit to the length. The sleeves are long and might need to be shortened. Also the sleeves are really big and I might take them in. I'll be making all the variations of this dress so if I'll make sure the sleeves fit better in the future.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done with it?
Yes.


Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes they were really easy and things would have gone even easier if I had actually read them.  I have a tendency to just sew things in the order I like which messed me up royally when it was time to put in the drawstrings. If I had followed the instructions it would have been so easy and perfect... now I know for next time.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love how comfy it looks, and it looks great for playing. It's a fun top and she likes the drawstring bows. I'll be making more for sure!







3 comments:

  1. I think the fullness in the sleeve is fine. It matches the fullness in the body. Yes, maybe shorten the sleeves. Since you aren't using a serger yet, how are you doing your cover stitch for the hem? Twin needle? Sewn twice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking awesome dear...love such tunics for women aned girls !!

    ReplyDelete