Anchor Dress using S2599



Hi all,

I have so much to post about... but most of my free time is spent sewing. I have a couple "tips and tricks" posts coming up and my first ever pattern release. I'm excited! Make sure you become a follower so you don't miss out on anything.


~  ~  ~




I had sewn up this dress before we moved, but the hem was too long and crooked. So I had to finish it up when we got to the new place. I love it! 




I love thrifting. There I said it, now we can move on. Sometimes when I go to the thrift store I find nothing and sometimes I make out like a bandit... this was one of those bandit times. I found this bed sheet fabric and had to have it for "something." While perusing pinterest I came across this dress and knew my fabric could be replicated into something similar.

Take Your Peck Dress, #ModCloth

To turn my fabric into this dress I started with Simplicity 2599 for the shirt and sleeves. That pattern has markings for an elastic waist so it was perfect. I cut my shirt off 1" past the markings and drafted an A-line skirt pattern for the skirt with the top portion as large as the bottom of the shirt pattern. I seamed them together and then used the seam allowance for my elastic casing. First time doing that and it won't be my last.

For the sleeves I used this tutorial to convert my sleeve pattern into a tulip sleeve. The sleeve stuck out too much for my small arms so I took it in an inch or so underneath the arm... next time I would leave out the seam allowance when drafting the tulip sleeve.



I also fully lined the dress and sleeves so I wouldn't have to pair a slip with it. I finished off the bottom with a blind hem. It was my first time doing that and it went well enough that I then fixed the hem on a pair of my husbands dress pants.



1 comment: