Sparkle Punch Quilt

I can finally blog and share progress pics of this year's Christmas quilt. I make these as gifts and since my SIL follows me on social media outlets... I've had to keep it a secret. Well she's in town for an early Christmas celebration and it's now been gifted!



She likes bright colors. I really wanted to use some of the Hip Holiday line by Josephine Kimberling, but it came out last year and so I had a rough time finding some. You can find some on etsy but most of those sellers want you to buy larger cuts. I didn't need large cuts, just 1/4 yard or fat quarters. I found smaller cuts here, but it looks like they're running out now too. I used Kona cotton in white for all my white blocks, and I buy mine from JoAnn's and use a coupon. I also bought all my filler prints at a local shop called Thimbles and Threads, if you're in UT.




I made the sparkle punch pattern, and really I have no idea where this pattern originated. But I was very inspired by this quilt. I made my quilt with 4.5" blocks, 4" finished, and made it 14 columns by 18 rows. So finished it measures about 56"x72." So far all my Christmas quilts have been throw sized.




I used warm and white cotton batting. And backed it in a soft minky/cuddles type fabric. I spray baste my quilts before quilting so the backing doesn't get all stretchy on me. I quilted it on my home machine and just did wavy lines down the length of the quilt. I used invisible thread, which I both love and loathe. I love that it's invisible on the dark solids, but it's not the easiest to work with. The look however is great, and now that the quilt has been washed and dried it's crinkly and beautiful. 




I plan on quilting more in the near future. I am starting to get caught up on the blocks for the Women of the Bible quilt along. I just signed up for a rainbow mini quilt swap. And I'm working on a quilt for my sister's baby, who should arrive soon... so I need to get that one finished quickly.

1 comment: