#DIY Lace Top Using S2599

I've been using re/up-cycled laces for some of my wedding dress creations.  Well I had a teensy bit left over and wanted to make something for myself. 



I've been having fun with the new feature on pinterest where you can search your own pins and so I typed in lace and searched my pins.  So many fun things came up but I was thinking I needed to make a boxy top that I could pair with colorful skinnies and maxi skirts.

I always find inspiration on pinterest... don't we all? I've decided it's time I start making some of that inspiration a reality and making things for myself.

I used Simplicity 2599 for the bodice and just omitted the bust darts. This is a super easy top to make but for this lace version I made it much more difficult.  Normally you would have a facing for the neckline, but I just used bias tape for the neckline and to hem the sleeves.  I also used french seams everywhere, even where I set in the sleeves.  Also I removed the sleeve ease. I love how this top turned out and it was worth the extra work for french seams.





One more thing.  I think that the more you sew the more you develop a system for piecing things together. For simple shirts this is my system:

1. Neckline: binding, facing, or hemming. I start here. Sometimes this depends on the pattern.  I plan on making some shawl collar sweaters for my boy this winter and I'm sure with those I'll have to sew the shoulders and then do the neckline... but for this top and lots of other projects this is how I do things.
2. Shoulders
3. Set in sleeves. I might hem sleeves before I set them in or after... but I prefer to hem them close to this point... even if it's not how you're supposed to do things it's easier than trying to hem a closed up sleeve on my machine.
4. Side and sleeve seams.
5. Hem the bottom of the shirt.
6. Done! :)



I'm offering this top in my esty shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment